[rescue] SunFastEthernet questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Sep 2 19:39:54 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 08:17 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>>> Not helpful.
>>
>>   Not helpful?
>
> First thing I did after installing Solaris 9 was rip out all the CDE
> stuff, and I believe a lot of the tooltalk stuff goes with it.  Plus,
> unless I misunderstood my cursory look at the man page, ttcp is a local
> file-copying tool...?  True, I could ttcp to NFS-mounted directories.
> Except the U60 is the only machine *exporting* any nfs and it's the
> only
> machine that's up that runs Solaris.  So I don't see how I could use
> ttcp to test network transport capability.

   ttcp is a general UNIX-based network throughput benchmarking tool.
I'm not talking about the ToolTalk stuff.

> I'd have set up something with nc, actually, if I had nc on minbar yet,
> which I realized today I don't.

   nc...Netcat?  Wow, I haven't used that in a while.  What a great
program.  It was written by an acquaintance of mine in the Boston area,
a brilliant fellow known as Hobbit.  He rocks.

>>   That's reasonable.  You'd get a cool 100Mbps with a nice low
>> interrupt load if you were using FDDI, and you wouldn't need to switch
>> it. :)
>
> Yeah, but I have no FDDI hardware.  :)

   That can be solved! 8-)

> (Well, OK, babylon4 -- the E3000 -- has several GBICs installed, but I
>  have nothing to connect them to and can't afford to run it anyway.)

   You should send it to me.

      -Dave