[rescue] SunFastEthernet questions

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Sep 2 17:50:29 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> >And after setting them to 100/full you'll probably get about double that.
>
> They are at 100/full via autonegotiate... I checked my 2924XL.. there
> are three ports in use currently... and all are at 100/full.

Yes.  Same situation here.  What do you expect it to tell you?

HME is -not- -reliable- in autoneg mode.  This is a very well-known
problem.  It will work, yes, but the connection doesn't approach its
full potential throughput.

> >FTP is a good benchmark because it uses TCP streams and relatively
> >little CPU.
>
> Yes, but isn't the protocol exchange got more overhead and smaller
> transfers than other protocols ???

Okay, HTTP, then.  Pick a protocol, any protocol.  For the purpose of a
"is it faster after I tinkered with things?" experiment, the actual
protocol doesn't matter.  My 100baseTX network can move data faster
than 4.6M/s via FTP.  When things were set to autoneg, it could not.  In
fact, the performance I saw was below that mark.  YMMV, but I've seen
this consistently wherever hme cards are involved.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Gamer weenies...are the sludge at the bottom
Elgin, TX          (    of the user swamp."           --Gary Nichols