[rescue] Ultra 60 Questions

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Sep 2 12:41:38 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:38:57 -0500
"Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at celestrion.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:27:01AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Other than that, it's a reasonable facsimile of a Sun U60.  The
> > benefit is taht you don't have to find SCA drives, just 68-pin
> > drives.  And, the
>
> Err, I thought that finding cheap SCA drives was supposed to be easier
> than 68pin.  That's been my impression so far, at least.

They're about the same price, with SCA drives being a few dollars more,
at least whenever I've been looking. Now, it could be that I'm looking
in the wrong places or at the wrong times, but there you have it.

> > The most expensive piece was adding a 360Mhz/4MB cache CPU to it -
> > it cost more than the base system.  If you can deal with 200Mhz
> > CPUs, you can get a couple very inexpensively.
>
> With dual 200s, such a toy would still be one of my fastest machines.

It woud still be a a wonderful system to work on, I promise you that.

--
Kurt                 "I am not aware that any community has a right to
kurt at k-huhn.com       force another to be civilized."