[rescue] FDDI concentrators, cables, cards?

James Birdsall jwbirdsa at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 1 13:02:02 CDT 2003

> How do the OSes of these both concentrators differ?

I have both an 1100 and a 1400. I haven't used the 1400 beyond setting it
up, but as I recall, I used exactly the same commands on both of them to set
them up.

> The 1100 is noiser?

As I said, I don't have much experience with the 1400, so I don't know about
noisiER, but I can testify that the 1100 is loud. When the fans shift into
high gear (which they will do periodically even with minimum loading), they
are audible over a couple dozen other machines. Maybe it's the particular
note they hit, but it sure is annoying.

This discussion has motivated me to see if I can find a CDDI card for my
1400 so I can switch to it.

--James B.