[rescue] SNMP, Baby!

Patrick Finnegan pat at purdueriots.com
Wed Nov 12 23:49:09 CST 2003

Dave McGuire declared on Tuesday 11 November 2003 11:14 am:
> On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 11:05 AM, Kevin wrote:
> > I really don't know anything about big Suns (or really little ones
> > for that matter) but this machine
> > looks like one i'd like to learn on.  Can't float it at the time
> > though.
>
>    Learn on a four-proc E450 with a gigabyte of RAM.  I am
> flabbergasted here.  :-)
>
>    As a shell account server, for example, that box could support
> HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of simultaneous users.

Well, at least until 40 users try running GCC at the same time...
Supposedly that's what caused the crash of an E450 at Purdue a week ago,
and that was with 4GB of ram not just 1GB.

Of course, it seems inane to me to have that small of a machine trying to
support thousands of engineers running things like gcc, matlab, and
pspice.  Of course, I'm sure it's an 'if we had the budget..' sort of
issue, aka 'politics.'

Still, I'd have to agree, depending on whether or not you want encryption
and speedy compilers, a good system "to *nix learn on" would either be
somewhere between 11MHz (DEC VAXstation 3200) and 50MHz (Sun SparcStation
LX) (not capable of any speed with GCC and SSH) or 133MHz (DEC 3000/300)
to 233MHz (IBM RS/6000 43P/140) (capable of reasonbly fast GCC and
SSH)...

Oh, BTW, those machines are all things that I have and have run either
Linux or NetBSD upon.... : )

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS