[rescue] Cheap domain registrars of choice?

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Nov 12 23:14:37 CST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:00:30PM -0600, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> I use joker.com. They are not the cheapest, but I like their interface
> and I have yet to have a problem with them.

I moved from joker to Dotster last year.

Joker pros:
  --  Anyone who wants to contest your domain registration has to go to
      Dresden to file the dispute.
  --  All management is via SSL.
Joker cons:
  --  If someone contests your domain registration, presumably *you*
      have to go to Dresden.
  --  Authentication can be a pain.  I ended up having to make up
      letterhead to convince them I was registering a domain name I had
      a right to.
  --  Joker cannot, apparently, process debit cards.
  --  Sometimes slow to respond.

Dotster pros:
  --  All management is via SSL.
  --  More responsive and easier to deal with than Joker.
  --  Dotster has an option to spam-protect your contact addresses via
      rolling virtual addressing - no domain spam.
  --  Dotster lets you opt out from NSI's "All your domain registration
      info are belong to us."
  --  Dotster processes debit cards just fine.
  --  Simpler authentication.

I haven't yet run into any Dotster cons.  They have a monthly newsletter
that some might consider spam, but it's optional.  (Opt-in rather than
opt-out, iirc.)