[rescue] Exabyte 8500S - oui ou non?

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 16:13:27 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:54:29 -0500, David L Kindred (Dave) wrote:
> I don't have any "scientific" data to back this claim up, but I have
> been forced to throw out numerous DDS-1, DDS-2, and DDS-3 tapes

Neither do I, but at work we've pretty much come to the conclusion that
DDS-* is write-only media, and we've had 8mm tapes eat the drive. Had a
few problems with DLT's but nothing serious (if you try hard enough not
streaming DLT's can stretch the tape seriously).

(We're also a place that buys the cheapest possible media fresh off the
back of a rickshaw ... not that those who use it agree with this policy)