[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Tue Nov 11 12:10:49 CST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> So ... what _am_ I going to do with it?  I'm not much on graphics, and
> it doesn't have a framebuffer, anyway.  It's only 10baseT, so massive
> fileserving would seem unlikely.  I know some of you guys have _big_
> stuff at home, and I'm not just talking McGuire and his Cray.  I need a
> story here, so give me some ideas, and, while you're at it, some
> real-life examples of what you do with your BigStuffAtHome.

I have mainframes.

The only time I've run a mainframe in a house in which other people were
living, I used it to learn as much as I could about S/370 assembler
programming, while I sold all my (large quantity of) remaining processor
cycles, and used the money to pay power + cooling.  I also made a tidy
little profit.

Peace...  Sridhar