[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Nov 11 10:38:35 CST 2003

Dave McGuire said ...

>    Schweet!  I just got my E3500 running and am moving my development
> stuff over to it.  This machine rocks.  I need to find some more proc
> boards for it now.

I need some help.

SWMBO spotted the Challenge L in the garage.  It's hard to camouflage, that
one (the Challenge, not SWMBO) since it sounds like I've got an airliner
idling out there behind the toolboxes.

As you married men might imagine, a discussion ensued:

"What's this, then?  I thought you were getting rid of some of these old
computers!"

"I will, dear.  I'm just upgrading, and this overstock situation is
temporary."

"This black one is even bigger and louder that the beige one."

"That's why it's in the garage."

"Which is why I have to park outside."

"Yeah, but ..."

"So what are you going to do with it?"

"Ummmmm.  I dunno yet."

So ... what _am_ I going to do with it?  I'm not much on graphics, and it
doesn't have a framebuffer, anyway.  It's only 10baseT, so massive
fileserving would seem unlikely.  I know some of you guys have _big_ stuff
at home, and I'm not just talking McGuire and his Cray.  I need a story
here, so give me some ideas, and, while you're at it, some real-life
examples of what you do with your BigStuffAtHome.

Thanks.

-Shel