[rescue] Spaceball + IRIX?

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Fri Nov 7 14:46:43 CST 2003

Max would have crocked on a 486 for sure.  It wasn't too bad on the dual PPro box (with NT 3.51) but
rotating complex, ~ 50k polys, gouraud shaded models wasn't too cool.

/KRM

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:39:26 -0600
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at ohno.mrbill.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:10:42PM -0500, Kevin wrote:
>
> > I don't believe Lightwave was even doing real time shaded polys when
> > Max 1.0 came out.  It wasn't a common feature on x86 based 3D apps at
> > the time.  3DS4 DOS had it to a very limited degree (preview mode.)
>
> I don't know about when 1.0 came out.  I guess that would have been the
> Lightwave 4.0 days.  I don't think I used max until 1.1, and Lightwave
> 5.0 came out somewhere in the vincinity, and it would do realtime shaded
> polys.  Of course, you wouldn't want to do real time shaded polys on a
> 486.  Of course, you also wouldn't want to use Max at all on a 486.
> Lightwave 5 was quite usefull on a 486 though.

"Microsoft is fighting these initiatives (OSS in government) like a cornered badger on
amphetamines."

keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/