[rescue] WTB - ethernet print servers

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Nov 6 13:25:39 CST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:53:14AM -0600, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> Kevin [mailto:kevin at mpcf.com] on Thursday, November 06, 2003 9:33 AM said;
>
> > How well do these things work?  I just ordered one yesterday for the job
> (JetDirect 310x) for a
> > USB Color LaserJet 1500L.  I've never used an external printer server.  Is
> it just like
> > working with an internal JetDirect card?
>
> I'm not sure what aspects of 'working with' you mean - from the server's
> perspective they are.
>
> The downside is that a seperate device allows more bits to break or be
> turned off.  I prefer them - you get more utility and life out of them.

The other downside, at lease on the older ones, is that you can
communicate with the printserver at network speed, but the printserver
communicates with your printer only at parallel-port speed.

I suppose that's USB now.

On the other hand, external printservers frequently have multiple ports.
So you can have two, maybe even four printers clustered together on a
single printserver and a single network drop.