[rescue] Bluetooth

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Nov 4 11:32:00 CST 2003

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 12:16 PM, Brooke Gravitt wrote:
>>> <http://www.brainboxes.com/products/bluetooth/product.asp?id=BL-521>
>>
>>    I'd have ordered one *right now* if they weren't priced at $240.00.
>> That's obscene.
>
> *garf*
>
> That is a little too steep for a fancy dongle. Dang! I was really
> excited
> about the idea of getting to sit in a chair 20 feet from the server and
> sstill having a serial terminal.

   Me too.  I'm using a Keyspan USB<->serial adapter now, which I love,
but this Bluetooth dongle would be very convenient for a lot of things
that I do.

> What I don't understand is that the cost of the BT printer adapters are
> less that $100. Why so much for serial? I mean, if Epson can sell a BT
> parallel printer adapter for $99, why is this thing $240?

   Hmm...Greed?

> Well, hopefully a capitalist will produce them cheaply and eat this
> company for lunch. HOw much could it cost to make one of these?

   Well they have to recoup the cost of chip development.  There may
(and I say "may", I don't know for sure) be Bluetooth licensing fees or
other suit crap like that which need to be recouped.

   Perhaps I will look around at the later generations of the Bluetooth
chipsets and see what's out there.

          -Dave