[rescue] The other question...need Amiga advice!?!

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri May 30 19:45:24 CDT 2003

>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>From: abuse at cabal.org.uk (Peter Corlett)
>Subject: Re: [rescue] The other question...need Amiga advice!?!
>Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 00:29:58 +0000 (UTC)
>Originator: abuse at cabal.org.uk (Peter Corlett)
>
>Joshua D. Boyd <jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 08:23:20AM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
>>> People are literally giving away the A500 and A1200 machines. I've been
>>> offered quite a few rescues of fairly loaded systems, but alas my house
>>> is getting rather full.
>
>> If people are offering you A1200s, you should offer them on to the rest of
>> us. I'd love an A1200, and would be willing to pay a little more than
>> reasonable shipping for one.
>
>These would be PAL units with 240v power supplies and UK plugs. They really
>are not worth the effort of shipping them to the USA and then making them
>work. They are probably not even worth shipping around the country, because
>stock A1200s really are still as common as paving slabs, and about as
>interesting because you really need an expanded one to do anything much
>beyond playing games on it.

Don't the A1200's have a VGA connector ?  Wouldn't they work with a VGA
monitor (possibly requiring a "flicker fixer" thingy (which is a scan
doubler no ?) ?

The voltage thing isn't a realy problem.

As for only being able to play games without an expanded one... .that is
one of the big reasons I'd want an Amiga... there were some facinating
games for those that were way way way ahead of their time.

>I suspect NTSC units with 110v supplies are worth the effort for you, but I
>don't know a cheap source of them. The usual USA based company suggested on
>the newsgroups is Software Hut (www.softhut.com) which suitably annoys us in
>the UK :) I don't see them listing A1200s, but you never know...

I don't know of a cheap source... I know people run into them, but
they are not as common as paving slabs in my area... if they were,
I'd be "digging" up the pavement.