[rescue] Various (Socket 7)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 29 16:17:23 CDT 2003

One last addendum...

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 13:16, gleblanc at linuxweasel.com wrote:
>Almost correct...  Socket 7 is available in both split-voltage and
non-split-voltage
>variants.  I don't believe there is a hard and fast speed where the split
occurs (that
>is, I think 90MHz Pentiums were available in both Socket 5 and Socket 7
varieties).
>Oh, and there's no "Slot 7", yet.  (Slot 8 may very well exist, think James
Bond)

Split voltage started as early as the P166MMX. Socket 7 is backwards
compatible with Socket 5, which ended at 133 mhz. (thus, there is no Socket
7 variety of P90 processors, just backwards compatible Socket 7
motherboards). The main difference between Socket 5 and Socket 7 is that 5
has lower multipliers and lower current. There are, however, some oddball
boards out there that don't fit the normal standards. The final upgrade to
Socket 7 was Super 7, which included things like 100 mhz FSB and AGP capable
chipsets, mostly from manufacturers like VIA and SiS.

>On a related note, does anybody know what the fastest non-split-voltage
Socket 7 CPU I
>can get is?  I was thinking of swapping out the WinChip 200 in my iOpener
Xterm for
>something with a little more balls.

Check out http://www.linux-hacker.net. The I-Appliance BBS has a lot of
information about upgrading IOpeners. With the proper modifications, you can
run K6-3 CPUs on the IOpener. There are also faster WinChips if I remember
correctly, but they're still lacking in performance for their clock speed.

David