[rescue] q concerning freeware.sgi.com

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu May 29 08:04:26 CDT 2003

"Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366" <patrick at zill.net> wrote:

> Can any IRIX guru's clue me in on why an install of Mozilla needs to
> have frickin' ORBit (a corba request broker) installed, along with
> gcc?

Don't use the freeware package of Mozilla.  Go to:
http://opensource.sgi.com
and download the binary from there.  It's got no dependencies and you can
install it wherever you want - I stuck mine in /opt.

> What are those guys smoking?  I declined to install it and Mozilla
> still took up 88MB of space once the dependencies were filled.

GNOME dependencies suck.  I have no idea why they do this, but there it is.
If you want to use the freeware tardists from SGI, you have to have a very
meaty disk - 9GB is probably a good minimum.

--
Kurt                 "I am not aware that any community has a right to
kurt at k-huhn.com       force another to be civilized."