[rescue] NeXT cube question

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Thu May 29 01:49:34 CDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 08:23:54AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> KRM <kevin at pipeline.com> wrote:
> > >An SS10 or 20 is a _great_ NeXTSTEP box. Only one CPU is supported,
> > >though. Don't know about the HP's personally, but I've heard they are
> > >nice, too.
>

> I'm fairly certain that was actually OpenStep.  IIRC, the name changed as
> soon as they got it running on other platforms.  I know of at least one
> company that runs all their stuff on OpenStep for i386.

It used to be called NS up until v3.3 .  After that it was called
OpenStep.

The reason was that OpenStep is/was a published specification, while
some bits of NS worked only in 32-bit machines or was not a clean API
in some other way.

Just think, if NeXT had:

1.  fixed their broken POSIX implementation, which would have allowed
them greater Fed govt penetration

2.  stayed around and really focused on the Web and written a Mach
kernel-based web server

We'd all be painting our U1E/170's flat black.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Lisp hosting       |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/50GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |