[rescue] Durango Poppy II

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Wed May 28 16:28:20 CDT 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003 13:10:58 -0400 (EDT), "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr."
<rescue at hawkmountain.net> wrote:

> (which are not really "quad density" although as I recall manufacturers
> were referring to them that way because they had double the capacity of
> double density... but they did it with a narrower track and twice as
> many tracks).

That's marketing for ya. Marketing used the DX2/66 designation when the
chip internally ran at twice the 33MHz bus speed, then used the DX4/100
designation when the chip internally ran at three times the 33MHz bus speed
(which by my calculations comes to 99MHz, but I'm just an engineer, what do
I know?). I don' t know WHAT lies they'd have come up with if Intel hadn't
gotten to the Pentium next instead of getting the '486 to run internally at
quadruple the bus speed.

Marketing. Can't live with 'em, can't perform human sacrifice on 'em. (Not
even a sacrifice to the Sun god.)

---
I think that I shall never see a billboard lovely as a tree. Indeed, unless
the billboards fall, I'll never see a tree at all. -Ogden Nash