[rescue] SGI o2 MIPS efficientcy

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Wed May 28 00:39:09 CDT 2003

I took the SGI o2 home tonight.

For some reason, I find working on the SGI desktop very soothing.  The
only interface I like better is Nextstep "classic" a la NS 3.3, but it
is not practical to run that for obvious reasons.

Anyways, I used to run a desktop based on an AMD Athlon 900Mhz CPU.
This CPU is not considered a slouch and is more than fast enough for
desktop Unix use.

Running mpg123 on both platforms:

about 4-5% CPU on the Athlon, running at 900Mhz.
between 6-7% CPU on the SGI o2, running a 175Mhz R10k.

Interactivity seems about the same on each system.  Heck, even running
1280x1024 at 60Hz seems clearer and less wiggly on the exact same
monitor.

You know, maybe there is something to these old Unix boxes after all ...

hinv:

CPU: MIPS R10000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.5
FPU: MIPS R10010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
1 175 MHZ IP32 Processor
Main memory size: 128 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte on Processor 0
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
FLASH PROM version 4.17
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version ADAPTEC 7880
  Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0
  CDROM: unit 4 on SCSI controller 0
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version ADAPTEC 7880
On-board serial ports: tty1
On-board serial ports: tty2
On-board EPP/ECP parallel port
CRM graphics installed
Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
Iris Audio Processor: version A3 revision 0
Video: MVP unit 0 version 1.4
AV: AV1 Card version 1, Camera not connected.
Vice: TRE

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |