[rescue] NeXT cube question

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue May 27 19:55:43 CDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 12:50:29PM +1200, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> Hi Lads
>
> I've seen a NeXT cube being advertised for $350 on a web-bulletin board with the following configuration:
>
> <<
> NeXT Cube:
> 68040 at 25 MHz
> 28 MB RAM (has 8 slots for 30 pin SIMMs)
> 1.3 GB internal SCSI HD
> MO drive (not tested, but believed to be functional; has the filter)
> External SCSI 2.88 MB floppy drive
>
> 17" NeXT Megapixel monitor
> Non-ADB keyboard and mouse
>
> NextStep 3.3 already loaded. Manuals, Lotus Improv, and Adobe Illustrator included. Also the amazing NeXT Screwdriver.

Many people remember the AI on NeXT with fondness.

Improv is still a decent spreadsheet.

a) I would question if it is truly a 68040 or a 68030.  The 030 is
very slow when running any OS later than 2.1 .

b) non-ADB brings the price down because you cannnot easily find new
keyboards and mice.

c) chances are the monitor is starting to get dim

d) RAM is a little low.

I would say it is worth about $100 tops.  If you truly want the NeXT
experience, get either:

1.  Turbo Color (040 at 33Mhz) maxed out with RAM (72pin SIMMs) and a fast disk

2.  HP Gecko-class (cheap, fast) with NS 3.3 loaded

3.  Sun SS10 or 20 with appropriate full-color graphics

Black and white is nice but color is much nicer.

Then look around - there is a full, freely available office suite for
NS3.3 that supports color.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |