[rescue] The other question...

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue May 27 11:46:52 CDT 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003 09:01:42 -0500, "Bill Bradford" <mrbill at mrbill.net>
said:
> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 08:48:21AM +0200, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:
> > Uhm. I don't know if there's a huge difference in plastics used for
> > touch-screens and LCDs, but I'd contact the manufacturer about it. I've
> > seen glass-polish for ordinary CRT tubes, but never for LCDs...
>
> I've seen plenty of it, for use w/PDAs.  The scratch-removal stuff used
> for PDAs should be fine on laptops...

Bill, is this the stuff you've seen?  Displex Display Polish:
<http://www.displex.de/Languages/English/Index1.htm>

I was concerned about trying this, as it's intended for cell phones
and the touch screens (which are overlays on top of the LCDs) on
PDAs.

The LCDs on all the laptops I've seen do not have an overlay on
top--it's just the surface of the LCD.

I know of some other plastic polishing brands, such as Novus,
which I am familiar with from working with plexiglas and lexan.

I read elsewhere to not try to get the scratches out, but to instead
"hide them" with a light application of ArmorAll into the scratch.

I'm not planning on keeping the laptop where I'm trying to fix the
scratches as I am going to be selling it.  But I also don't want to
do anything that's going to make the problem worse--i.e. use an
untested solution.

Thanks--
=Nadine=
--