[rescue] libpthread.a on Solaris 8?

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri May 23 18:19:21 CDT 2003

I don't believe Solaris 8 provides a libpthread.a, just the .so.

No reference in SunSolve for libpthread.a, and only a closed reference
about libthread.a being missing... and that was closed (obviously without
including a static libthread.a in Solaris).

Sun generally does not want people static linking as it breaks the ABI
and makes binaries very specific for releases (and possibly even patch
levels ?).

Doesn't look like they are going to make a libpthread.a.

Looks like you'll have to compile dynamically unless there is a way
to make a .a out of a .so (I do not believe this is possible ?).

-- Curt