[rescue] Indy CPU upgrade

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed May 21 16:13:00 CDT 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Meelis Roos wrote:

> The PROM is labeled 070-9101-005 and Google doesn't tell much :(

That's the middle revision.  -003 was the first one, and it'll only run
the R4000 and a few of the R4x00 CPUs.  You should be fine on R4400 with
-005, but you don't be able to run R5000 without a PROM upgrade.

> R400SC and R4400SC seem to be among the earlier supported CPUs whilst
> 4600SC is a later one and R5000* is again newer (and want rev 011).

I don't believe R4600 is newer than R4400.   I seem to remember them
coming out at the same time on the Indy.  The only real difference is
that the R4400 is optimized for floating-point operations, and the R4600
is optimized for integer operations.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Lawsuit...why doesn't it surprise me that more
Thorndale, TX      (    than half of that word is Suit?"