[rescue] VAXstation questions

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue May 20 17:05:36 CDT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 05:34:22PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Ha, I worked at Princeton in 1986, in the Moody Fluid Dynamics lab at
> E-quad.
>   Hey wait, we've discussed this before, haven't we?

sigh.

Looks like MERCUR.USAO.EDU has been replaced with a Sun box, from looking
at nmap output. 8-(

Ahh, from an old telecom-digest archive:

- - - - -
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 11:29:17 CST
From: Bill Bradford <STUBRADFOWC at MERCUR.USAO.EDU>
Subject: Re: Tropez 900Mhz Cordless PHones

We've got one of the Tropez phones here in the Computer Science
department at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma, where I
am a workstudy.

It works great.  The previous manager of the DP department bought it
because of it's "impervious-ness" to interference, and we've never had
any static on it, even two rooms away in a lab full of twenty 486 boxes.

My favorite feature is the ability to pick up the phone and NOT have
to hit the "answer" or "phone on" button, like most other cordless
units.

Bill Bradford * stubradfowc at mercur.usao.edu
- - - - -

MERCUR was a VAX 3000, later upgraded to a 4700A, running first VMS 5.5-1
then later OpenVMS (don't remember the version).  The first "big" system I
ever used, and the system that I had my first Internet access through.

It also ran usao.edu's first web server and web site (both done by me,
as a summer Independent Study project) from the spring of '95 until everything
was moved to Sun/SPARC/Solaris boxes a few years ago.

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net