[rescue] Indy CPU upgrade

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Tue May 20 11:13:59 CDT 2003

Hello Meelis,

Tuesday, May 20, 2003, 6:00:10 PM, you wrote:

> I have a low-spec Indy (100 MHz R4600PC with no L2 cache) that I want to
> upgrade to a 175 MHz R4400SC (1M L2 cache). Does this CPU need PROM or
> clock crystal upgrade too or is the CPU module enough?

  *if* your PROM version supports the CPU it's a simple module swap.
  If typing 'versions' in the Command Monitor gives you a date in
  ~1995 I think you are on the safe side. I guess earlier PROM
  versions should also support the R4400 at 175 MHz. 200 MHz was
  supported since July 1994, but it was also released a bit earlier.

--
Best regards,
 Gerhard                            mailto:mail at g-lenerz.de

Old SGI Stuff                       http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/