[rescue] Big SGIs at Home

koehler at shaw.ca koehler at shaw.ca
Sun May 18 22:02:31 CDT 2003

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> On Sun, 18 May 2003 koehler at shaw.ca wrote:
>
> > My XL ( 34 R10K 16G memory ) draws about 4.5 KW.  However, its mainly
>
> Eeeerr, how did you achieve that configuration? We had to stop at 28 R10Ks
> in our XL if we wanted to go over 8GB of RAM....
>
> Anyhow, we found out that after 18+ R10K on the XL bus, the whole machine
> actually starts to throttle down because the 1.2GB/s bus starves the
> processors...
Hi,

It came from SGI that way :)  I havnt peeked under the hood, except to
remove the single dual dual IP25 to use in the onyx, thereby leaving me
with 32 processors.  It has 4 fully populated MC3 boards.  Interesting
about the 18+ processors, how much performance decrease/processor did
you see ??
--
Cheers,
	Geoff.