[rescue] Is this guy for real ?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat May 17 15:14:18 CDT 2003

On Saturday, May 17, 2003, at 03:45 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> VAX 11/780 on ebay....
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
> eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2730436049&category=1247
>
> These things aren't seriously worth this are they ?

   I'd pay $1500 for one with only a little arm-twisting, but the $4K
buy-it-now figure is pretty whacked.

> I thought this was the kind of thing scrappers ended up with, or was
> generally given away to clean out the space....

   That was the case up until a few years ago when they started drying
up.  780s are very difficult to find these days, and some collectors
pay very serious bucks for them.

> Thought it was curious though.... looking at the backplane made
> me cringe.... if anything ever went wrong in there... forget it.

   Fortunately, this is seldom the case.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                "They live deeply, these vagabonds."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Goro