[rescue] Hark, something from the depths of the storage closet!

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Sat May 17 14:09:53 CDT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003 04:18:00 -0500, Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:

> I've still got a few LDs (about 80 or so) and two players.  My
> first DVD player was a Pioneer DVD/LD combo unit.  Still use
> it often but these days a $50 unit purchased from the grocery
> store will play DVD's that the $1100 Pioneer will not :)

Yep. My first was an old Pioneer, second was a REALLY old Sony with a HeNe
laser (it's still in the basement -- I want to get the laser out) and my
latest is a Denon that the local shop was blowing out to make room. Which,
it turns out, is a re-labeled Pioneer. :)

But I now have a DVD (actually, two) and all new stuff is DVD, unless it's
simply not available on DVD (for instance, I have a copy of Shogun on VHS).

> People don't seem to understand that DVD players are
> computers and DVDs are software.  I've got a number of DVD's
> that came out around 1998/1999 that are rather "buggy".

Yep. That's nice, too, because I was able to repair my Apex DVD player by
kludging in a standard DVD computer drive.

> How'd you come across the Dragon's Layer disc?

A friend gave it to me. I don't remember any more for sure which friend,
though it's a short list. Anyway, I'm not sure where HE got it, but I was
delighted to get it. It's a cool collector's item, even if it has no
intrinsic value.

If I was feeling REALLY masochistic and my old Sony player still worked, I
could construct an actual arcade game around it... the Sony player has a
serial computer connector, and somewhere I have documentation.

Oh well, you can now get it on DVD and play it with your remote control.
Meantime, once in a while we slap the disc into the player and watch all
the deaths and the occasional escape. :)

BTW, interestingly enough, this one is single-sided. I have only one other
single-sided disc, I think it's the second Bambi disc, which is milky white
plastic on the reverse side. But this one is an aluminum platter.

---
"Odo, is there any more jello in the fridge?  Odo?  Odo!?"