[rescue] IRIX 6.5 on an Indy

KRM kevin at pipeline.com
Fri May 16 19:18:43 CDT 2003

Agreed.  I make it a habit to turn *everything* off that's not
absolutely necessary and do many things manually just so i will not have
"extra" daemons running.  I do this for both security purposes and
performance.  I also, don't generally run linux boxen with modular
kernels, especially if they are internet facing.  And as you said, this
should apply to any machines that are placed on an untrusted network, no
matter the OS.  That being said, it's still good to get the warning
about 5.3.  I know IRIX had a rep (deserving or not) for being insecure
for a long time yet to be able to lock it down well.

Thanks to all for the advice,
/KRM