[rescue] Hark, something from the depths of the storage closet!

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Fri May 16 13:29:17 CDT 2003

On Friday 16 May 2003 16:09, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> in possession, at least going by some quick glances at labels, a copy of
> open server by SCO from circa 1993, a copy of XENIX from the same time
> period and a TCP/IP option pack. All of this on 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 disks.
> 	Now of course I have to wonder, what hardware did this run on?
> Anyone have any idea? I am SOOOOO tempted to load this stuff up and start

It shouldn't care what processor it runs on (386 or higher ... XENIX *did* run
on 286's, but if you've got 3.5" floppies it's probably too late for that),
and would probably cope with relatively modern IDE. It'll be picky about SCSI
controllers, but older Adaptec should be ok.

> 	Also I must express I did giggle a little bit when I noticed the
> 1983 - 1989 Microsoft copyright markings on one set of disks. Want to call

Before SCO got their grubby hands on it, XENIX was a Microsoft port of SVR3
(or possibly SVR2 ... my neurons are a little frazzled tonight). Because of
the XENIX link, I distantly remember Microsoft copyrights popping up in all
sorts of odd Unix places.

They even sold Word for Unix.