[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale atbuy.com)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu May 15 10:43:07 CDT 2003

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 05:51 AM, bill pointon wrote:
> well ive got the left handed lockwasher then cause i have a ps2 mod 30
> (somewhere around here) with the un-famous and often forgotten 80186

   Un-famous?  Probably half of all the SCSI hard drives I've seen have
'186 chips on them.  Those blasted things are all over the place...it's
just that we find them where they were intended to be used, in embedded
applications.  The '186 is basically an 8086 with several common
peripherals on-chip.

   Note that the '186 is still a current (and very popular) product,
despite its archaic and wasn't-so-great-in-the-first-place
architecture...but then, the same can be said for the Pentium 4. ;)

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                "They live deeply, these vagabonds."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Goro