[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale atbuy.com)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed May 14 23:15:54 CDT 2003

vance at neurotica.com said ...
> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
> > >    Not exactly...they don't plug into a system bus, they just use
> > > card-edge connectors for the back of the drive bays.  These drives
> > > were ESDI, I thought, but I could be wrong.
> >
> > That's true of some, maybe most PS/2 machines, but the PS/2 mod 30 286 I
> > have is an ISA machine and the drive hooks up with a cable.  The drive
> > does have the weird card-edge connector, though.
>
> I think that might be an aftermarket change.  I have my PS/2 Model 30 that
> I bought new from IBM and it has the riser.

It must be completely diffo in the inside, then.  This looks stock, and
there's no way the drive could ever have connected to a riser card.  There's
no appropriate socket anywhere, the drive's not even over the mobo, the ISA
riser card doesn't leave any room, etc.

The mobo says "IBM" with a part number or something of "1 GHO206EA" just
below the "(C) IBM Corporation 1988" on the left front of the mobo....

It's got the weirdest SIMMS I've ever seen.  No chips on 'em, just little
shiny metal cubes.

This is the only mod 30 I've ever seen, though, so it might be different
from other production series.  1988 is pretty late to be making '286s, and
this one has every other modern feature:  SIMMs, 1.44 MB floppy, everything
on the mobo, etc.

I'll have to fire it up tomorrow and see what it has to say about itself.

-Shel