[rescue] Re: Drive Reliability (was SCSI drive for sale at buy.com)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed May 14 19:20:21 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 07:35 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> How about ESDI... I heard they had gig drives... but I don't think
> I've ever run across anthing larger than a 600....

   ESDI drives got *big* and were manufactured up until just a few years
ago.  8GB I believe was the largest.  I have several 2GB ESDI drives
but have never owned any larger than that.  Those later ESDI drives are
fast, too.

> I used to have four 320 meg ESDI's running off of a Emulex MD25 bridge
> controller running as 4 LUNs on one SCSI target.... still have em !
> (don't use em though :-) ... I think I still have data I don't think
> I backed up though.... one of these days.....)

   Do you mean the MD21?  Sun sold those with ESDI drives (141MB
usually) in lower-end Sun3 systems.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                "They live deeply, these vagabonds."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Goro