[rescue] VAXstation questions

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed May 14 10:21:17 CDT 2003

>Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 06:13:08 -0400 (EDT)
>From: vance at neurotica.com
>To: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] VAXstation questions
>Cc: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>

>> > When I think of it; I've got an *original* DAT-tape here with OpenVMS
>> > VAX/AXP V6.1 on it. From 1994. :-)
>>
>>    Hmm. :-)  Not to one-up you or anything, but I've got MicroVMS v4.5
>> on RX50 floppies.
>
>Now, how painful is *that* to install?  Are the disks still good?

I always generally see this question in regards to old floppies.  Do
people generally find problems with old floppies ?  Maybe I've just been
lucky, but I have had very little problems with old media.  I just
"rescued" as set of SunOS 4.0.3C Sparcstation 1 floppies.  Only one
was not readable, and I simply used an old trick to bring it back
(open the shutter, blow in (avoiding spit) on each side with a quick
blast of air (breath)).

Why this "trick" works, I don't know... but I know have dd images of
all the floppies at some point of which I am going to burn to a CD for
safe keeping.