[rescue] VAXstation questions

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed May 14 02:47:29 CDT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 02:48:26PM -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> Won 10 "untested" slot 1 procs on ebay.... all 10 bad... way overpaid.
> Trying to work something out with the seller, as it is clear I paid
> working proc prices for a lot that turned up all dead (this is not a
> seller who generally sells untested parts)... I'm hoping we can work
> something out, as I bought the stuff to resell to help make a mortgage
> payment (currently unemployed)... and now not only am I out that potential
> profit, I'm out almost $400.... ARG !

Unfortunately "untested" should have been taken as "untested" regardless of
your intentions. If something seems too good to be true.... The seller
doesn't have any real obligation to work anything out, unless he materially
misrepresented the items in the auction. I kinda feel bad for you getting
stuck like this, but that's the downside to speculative buying--you take
the risk to get the profits. Ask me about the dozen useless Indigo2 chassis
in my storage locker. :-)

I'm in a situation with a buyer right now--he bought an item I sold,
and is now disputing whether the manufacturer's label or the original
retailer's identification of the product is accurate. I clearly identified
the product, including a photo showing the model number, and provided
the original invoice from a very large national reseller of this product
showing the part number in question, and he's now claiming that neither
it, nor the one he has at home that's identical to it, is the part number
the manufacturer claims it is.

If I find an alternate buyer for this item before noon tomorrow (it's a
fairly pricy ham radio rig that I needed to get sold to keep my utilities
on), I may offer him a refund and sell to someone else. However, I sold
the item in good faith and it is exactly as described, so I do not feel
any obligation to do anything but keep the money. His bid was a contract,
and he's obligated to follow through with it.

Good luck with your resolution.

Rob