[rescue] OT?: DINKs/job-hunting [was Older-new mac stuff]

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue May 13 21:42:22 CDT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 06:43:11PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2003 20:27:24 -0400, "Phil Stracchino"
> <alaric at caerllewys.net> said:
> > On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:20:14PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
> > > *sigh*  Some days I hate not being a DINK* even worse than usual.
> >
> > As against ... ?
>
> NINK.  No income, no kids?!?

Ah.  I know the no-income part all too well, as a NI3K myself ...

> One of us has a job--well, he started a business, but it's not paying a
> salary yet.  Me--apparently I am without redeeming value, or at least
> all of the employers I've applied at appear to think so.

I know that feeling too.  Evewry time I get a promising prospect,
*SOMETHING* weird happens.  Works every time.  Almost like there's a
secretive Government agency going around telling people, "We see you're
interviewing this guy.  We would be displeased if you were to hire him."

> (You know you are in trouble when the manager who interviews you at
> the large consumer electronics chain is young enough to be your kid.)

At least you *can* work retail.  I can't -- mobility problems, I can't
be on my feet more than a few minutes at a time.

> Could I get a couple of rescuers who have a few minutes to look over
> my resume and be vicious with it?  I need some honest feedback--I
> think my friends are being too nice b/c they feel bad about my situation.
> (Not knocking them for it, just sometimes you need a kick in the behind.)

Sure, if you want.  I can't claim to be an expert on what makes a good
resume.  I've lost count of how many times over the past 20 months I've
rewritten mine.