[rescue] Older-new mac stuff

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon May 12 15:04:13 CDT 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:45:22PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:52:57PM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> > Does anyone have any Apple hardware they could part with in the range
> > of $1-1000, the cheaper the better?
> > Especially looking for laptops... G3 Lombard or Wallstreet or newer
> > (incl. G4), any iBook, any Blue and White Desktop or newer, etc.
> > Basically New World stuff with the oomph to run OS X (i.e. 128-256MB of
> > RAM or more).
>
> You can buy a BRAND NEW iBook for $999.

But then it wouldn't be a rescue. It also wouldn't have dvd or cdrw.

Andrew, you might try going to store.apple.com, go to the bottom on
the left side and click on "Special Deals" or "SAVE".

They don't have very good deals much on portables, but if desktops
are okay and warranty/APP eligibility are important, you can get
an iMac with 1 year Apple warranty for $650 (G3 600mhz/128mb/40gb/
cdrom/rageultra/snow/jaguar with kb/mouse). There's a $749 eMac
(700mhz/128mb/40gb/combo drive/kb/mouse) and a $999 SuperDrive
eMac 800mhz (256mb/60gb/superdrive/kb/mouse).

There are good Pismos (G3 400 or 500 with lots of ram, nice disk,
dvd, firewire, pcmcia) for $800ish. I think someone recently posted
one for sale on rescue even. If warranty/APP weren't important to
me, I'd probably look at one of those instead of a non-dvd iBook,
but that's just me.

--Rob