[rescue] Trade?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue May 6 14:58:03 CDT 2003

On 2003.05.06 20:45 Dave McGuire wrote:

>    The J90 pulls about 5.5kW. That's usually doable
Yes, that sounds not too bad.

> but I'm on a
> startup company salary.  My normal power bill here is about $450/mo,
> running the J90 would push that up to over $1K.
Make the machine available on the net and everyone who wants a login is
expected to make a donatation to pay the power? The cray-cyber people do
it that way.

> > Crays don't do IEEE FP? Why? Historical reasons? (AFAIK the Cray 1
> > predates IEEE FP like VAX.)
>    Newer ones do.  Yes, the Cray 1 predates IEEE, but most later
> machines weren't based on the Cray 1 architecture.
My thought was that they have a (slightly) other architecture but
carried on the FP format. Like Alpha inhirited some VAX float formats.

> There was the X/MP family, the Cray-2, -3, and -4,
> but pretty much everything else is YMP
> architecture, including the J90.
Hmmm. Now that I have a login on a YMP I should learn more about the
different Cray architectures.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen