[rescue] Trade?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue May 6 02:35:30 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 03:25 AM, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez
wrote:
>>    Because I have a stack of R10K machines and no R8K machines, and I
>> *like* the R8K design, that's why.
>
> LOL... Do you like the R8K design? *hits head against the wall* :)

   I think everyone here knows that you don't like R8Ks.

> Why dear lord why!!!!!!! It is one of the most unbalanced designs I
> have
> ever seen. And I do CPU architecture for a living, actually is more of
> a "for a dying" than living. The machine looks as if integers were an
> afterthought.

   I expect that was probably the case (integers being an afterthought I
mean).

   I like the R8K design because it is unusual, and gets more FP
performance out of a 75MHz clock than x86 processors do out of a 500MHz
one.

   I don't do CPU architecture for a living, but I have in the past, and
I've studied it since I was a kid...it's a bit of a hobby of mine.  And
I like R8Ks, regardless of what you think of them.

   I did NOT, however, say that I use them in production.  For
FP-intensive stuff I use a quad-processor 21164/400-based Alpha or an
R10K-based Octane, and for integer-intensive stuff I use a
quad-processor 300MHz E450.  When I can afford to run the Cray, well, I
think we all know where the FP stuff goes, as long as it doesn't
require IEEE FP.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols