[rescue] VAXStation 4000/90 Manuals

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri May 2 14:28:44 CDT 2003

On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 03:11 PM, David de Gruyl wrote:
>>> I guess that this is similar to Sun's changes from sparcstation to
>>> ultra cases.
>>   Huh?  Those crappy Ultra5 and Ultra10 machines maybe, but that's
>> about it.  I'm a big guy, and I can JUMP UP AND DOWN on an Ultra2 or
>> an Ultra30/60 case without so much as leaving a mark.
>
> well, I was thinking of the major degradation in the ultra 5 and the
> minor changes to the 2.  I have had no interaction with the 30/60.
> These changes still do not bring the cases to the level of PC cases
> which are on the market today (especially gateway and dell cases).

   Yeah the Ultra5 case is...well, disappointing.

> Eek.  I hope that the server models are (I guess it is "were" now)
> better.

   Were?  Did they discontinue Alphas when I wasn't looking? ;)
   http://h18003.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/

>   Although I have no particular affinity for the alpha platform as I
> have never worked with them, I really thought that DEC had the
> toughest cases I had ever seen.  I guess you have to save money
> somewhere when you are competing with PCs.

   They're not competing with PCs, man.  High-end servers with dozens of
processors and tens of gigabytes of memory are a completely different
market that PCs will never enter while still being PCs.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                        "I haven't worn pants in 14 months!"
St. Petersburg, FL                                      -Pete Wargo