[rescue] Wit's end -- Indigo2

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu May 1 09:28:56 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 07:45 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> That auction seems to have inconsistent pics....

> The most flexible thing is to get an SCA connector drive (one 80 pin
> connector, no power connector) and an adapter.  This way if you ever
> recycle the drive into a system that uses 68 pin wide scsi, just change
> the adapter.  Plus SCA drives are usually the cheapest to find as
> people
> retire drives out of RAID arrays as they upgrade to larger drives.
>
> -- Curt

The thing I'd like to see are SCA drives that can be terminated using a
jumper in a pinch.  I.e. adapter-aware SCA drives.  Or at least SCA to
68 or 50 pin adapter boards that allow termination on the adapter.  I
was considering putting an SCA drive in my pentium pro so I could swipe
it's 9GB 10K 68 pin drive for the mac, but I don't have any 68 pin
ribbon cable terminators.  I ended up taking the SCA drive and mounting
it sideways in the Mac with one screw and some electrical tape on the
other screw post so I could adapt it to the 68 pin LVD bus in the Mac.
(I had a power failure recently and lost the other Seagate Medalist
drive that was the second drive... it now only spins up 25% of the
time... no data loss, so I was able to take a backup -- nouveau
stiction?)

Andrew