[rescue] Re: Vesa Local Bus video cards

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Mar 31 21:52:58 CST 2003

>This is how i remember it.  The "AGP" for the early to
>mid 90s.  Developed primarily for graphics adapters and
>later picked up by others who needed more bandwidth.  I
>had several IDE controllers as well as  SCSI
>adpaters that used it.
>
>/KRM

I used to have a full-length VESA multi I/O board in my 486. It had an
8-bit ISA interface (presumably for the serial & parallel ports) and a Vesa
interface (presumably for the IDE controller).

Anyone else remember how difficult it was to install and remove VESA cards?
They had a lot of friction right along the full length of the card.

Incidentally I've seen early Pentium systems (60 & 66MHz) with VLB but no
PCI. I've seen early Pentium motherboards with both VLB and PCI. I've even
seen some 486 motherboards with PCI. No hard & fast rules it seems.

Regards,

Gavin