[rescue] Vesa Local Bus video cards

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Mon Mar 31 21:41:45 CST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 05:08:52PM -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> I think EISA came before VLB, VLB was never inteded to replace EISA, in
> fact I have seen EISA/VLB motherboards. It was just a way of having a fast
> pipe to graphics boards, since both EISA and ISA could choke with some of
> the datarates needed for full resolution 24bit imaginery. Think of the VLB
> as the yesteryear's AGP. I think the only other boards that I have seen
> employin the VLB standard were SCSI adapters....

Politically/socially AGP may be the VLB of today.  But AGP is derived
from PCI with a faster pipe into memory.  It isn't a tap onto the CPU
bus to my understanding.  I'm not sure why people don't focus on pushing
the PCI standard instead of pushing AGP.  I mean, several manufactors
make or made boards with mostly PCI33/32 but one or two PCI64/66 slots,
and PCI 64/66 was about the same speed as the first 2 or 3 generations
of AGP, so why not keep pushing PCI faster and still only provide one or
two really good slots and a lot of slower ones?  Isn't modern AGP just
pushing the clock rate faster over the older generations?  I realize
that a few generations worked a new feature in, but aren't most of them
just a clock bump?  That I'm less clear on.