[rescue] HP-UX Laptops - hardware manual

Paul Weissmann paul at doorslam.net
Sat Mar 29 05:06:45 CST 2003

roosmcd at dds.nl [roosmcd at dds.nl] wrote:
> Paul Weissmann <paul at doorslam.net> wrote:
> > roosmcd at dds.nl [roosmcd at dds.nl] wrote:
> > >  I've actually seen Sony NeWS systems here in .nl, appearantly there was an
> > > IT company near where I live which was heavily into NeWS. There also are
> > > NeWS laptops, one was for sale/free in Germany not too long ago... But I
> > >don't have a NeWS machine (yet).
> >
> > I guess this was mine, if you are referring to the one in d.a.f.c.?
>
>  Yes, I was looking for info on NeWS and saw a posting of about a week old on
> d.a.f.c. But of course it was already gone, so I'm still looking for a NeWS
> machine.

Yes, these are nice, especially the R4K and R4K4 based ones.

> > >  There was a note with the mail saying the postman tried to deliver a
> > package
> > > at my door today from the USA, so I guess my precisionbook is waiting for
> > me at
> > > the post-office. Too bad I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I can pick
> > it
> > > up :(.
> >
> > Got mine some days ago, really nice machine. The drive-caddies
> > are a joke though.
>
>  So it wasn't a precisionbook but a box of CD-i discs I got yesterday :). Maybe
> I'll have more luck today. What is the problem with the drive caddies? There
> are disks in them, right?

There is no problem w/ them, they are basically just glued-together plastic
boxen supposedly w/ a IDE<->SCSI converter. Looks just cheap.

> The auction mentioned two 4Gb disks, so I suppose these were striped for speed?

No, you just have two internal harddrives on the narrow SE-SCSI controller.
Could be useful for dual-booting HP-UX and maybe OpenBSD, if ready.

> And any luck with your 20Gb disk?

That was not me.

	- paul