[rescue] help reformatting a disk needed

Bill Martin wrmartin at verizon.net
Thu Mar 27 12:50:30 CST 2003

Funny you should ask.  I just fixed that problem in a 68 pin version of
that drive by doing a low level format with an Adaptec 2940U2W in an x86
box.  The QLogic controller in the DEC PWS 500au I bought the drive for
would report that it was reformatting, but wouldn't change block
size.  After the Adaptec format, the drive is working just fine running
FreeBSD 4.7 in the PWS.

Bill Martin

At 11:08 AM 3/27/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>i have an ibm DCAS04F 4.5gig hard drive, 50pin, scsi, ...which was
>formatted with block size 520. i need to reformat it to 512 size
>blocks. i have it attached to a sparc2 running solaris2.5.1 - the only
>version of solaris which actually sees the drive. format  tries, but
>doesn't seem to do anything to the drive.  here is what happens:
>my remarks to the script are  distinguished by  ******************8
<snip>