[rescue] Re: NetApp F720 question

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Mar 26 21:46:29 CST 2003

Hi John (and list)

I fired up the system today to do some probing. When it boots up it says
that it has ONTAP 5.3.7R2 installed and that it is licensed for CIFS, but
not NFS. Darn. (plus it says a disk is broken, but I already knew that from
the LCD front panel)

So I created an account on the NetApp support website, but I'm not entitled
to download any ONTAP system images. Darn.

But when I check the license keys it says it is licensed for NFS but not
CFS. Yay! I've copied down the NFS license details.

Now. Can anybody help me reset the admin password? I suspect that this
might be a fairly grey area (expecially if it involves ONTAP images) so
please email me off-list.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Gavin

-----------------------<begin message>-----------------------------

Gavin,
 We had one a while back, from an auction. If I remember it's fairly custom,
but give it a try. As far as the admin password. (It's been a while since I
did this.) Get a copy of the OS from Netapp, we registered the unit with the
support website and then was able to download some system images. Make a set
of boot disks, boot from the disks, select "change system password" from the
menu. Remove disks, reboot. This may be a bit oversimplified, but it's the
general idea. Email me off list and I'll try to figure out exactly how I did
it.

  Nice machine, but the shelves were loud.

-- John