[rescue] Re: Re: Solaris cp question

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Mar 22 13:58:07 CST 2003

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 01:31:49PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
>
> > Although, I suppose there is still the question as to how to handle
> > them when you are only moving a directory instead of a whole partition...
>
> ufsdump|ufsrestore

At some point ufsdump started allowing subdirectories instead of just
filesystems, I think. And worst case, you can use 'ufsrestore -ivf' and
select the dir you want, although the entire filesystem will get read into
memory which could be a bad thing.

Note that you may be able to tweak rsync to do either a full filesystem
or a subdir... I used to use -azrogtvDf to move stuff around. It can be
used locally as well as across a network.

If you have a directory of files, directories, and links... no sparse
files or ACLs or device links...  tar should be fine.

Rob