[rescue] Re: Solaris cp question

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Mar 22 13:29:02 CST 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Robert Novak wrote:

> I'd use ufsdump|ufsrestore to be safest.

> # cd /newusr
> # ufsdump 0f - /usr | ufsrestore -xvf -

> I don't think tar will preserve real ACLs (i.e. the stuff you use
> getfacl and setfacl to manipulate). It will preserve the permissions.

My first thought was tar, but that's a good point.  Although, when
I recently shuffled filesystems, I DID use ufsdump/ufsrestore.

Thank you for pointing out something about the ACLs =)

Although, I suppose there is still the question as to how to handle
them when you are only moving a directory instead of a whole partition...

--Kurt