[rescue] roadrunner

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Mar 18 15:35:41 CST 2003

Dave McGuire writes ...

>    Is anyone here using RoadRunner to connect a real computer (i.e. not
> a windows box) to the rest of the world?  I need to front-end a
> RoadRunner connection with a NetBSD box running NAT and service proxies
> and I need to know what their pipe "looks" like from the ethernet
> jack's perspective.  Anyone have any info?

I used RoadRunner when we lived in Ohio, up until Aug 2001.  At that time,
in that place, there was nothing special about it.  We had a Win NT box
plugged into it, running WinGate, but AFAIK there was nothing very
interesting about it.  DHCP, of course, but that's about it.  I never
plugged anything else into it except the Wintel machine on which it was
"officially installed."

Given the number of port-scan and crack attempts we saw, I wasn't about to
plug in anything remotely useful to the haxors.  A stripped-down NT box is
pretty useless, even if they crack it.  They can knock it over, but they
can't use it for much.

However, back then, and maybe now, things vary from place to place.
RoadRunner's a "brand" and a lot of  implementation details were left up to
the local cable system.  For a while, we had to use a special "login
program," which made life difficult for non-Wintel folks.  RR abandoned that
in Columbus, and never implemented it elsewhere AFAIK, but who knows what
other evils lurk in the hearts, &c.

-Shel