[rescue] FT/FS Sun GDM 1962b monitor (the Netherlands)

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Mar 18 09:51:21 CST 2003

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 01:46, Mike F wrote:
> [...]

1028x1024? Ah, I thought only 1152x900.

> > You could also do other resolutiosn like 1024x768 but you have to figure
> > out the timing, and you'll probably have to adjust internal adjustments
> > inside to get it timed right and setup the monitor adjustments for a
> > good sized and centered picture.    I've done that previously with custom
> > graphics gards meant for fixed frequency monitors and GDM 1662B (the
> > 16/17"
> > equivalent of the 1962B).

Timings seem to be the problem here. I read the bigger part of the xfree86
timing howto (or wossit called) but it was a bit beyond me honestly.  Up to
now I tried starting X with different modelines found all over the 'net such
as
ModeLine   "1152x900"  108.0   1152 1184 1312 1504   900 902 906 937 Composite
-hsync -vsync
and anything else with just slightly different numbers...

I also thought about looking around for such a special videocard if I could
get it cheaply but it seems so stupid to have a dualhead card and then use a
second one to dualhead. Especially because it won't run Quake as smoothly :)

> For what it's worth, I'm currently using such a setup, with an HP
> fixed-freq monitor, but I've been able to make it work with an ATI Radeon
> card. Indeed, it is all in the timing. My monitor is officially meant for
> 1280x1024
> at 72Hz but I've found it works better at 1280x960 at 75Hz. I even have it
> working under Solaris 9 x86, after some heavy XSun configuration. Of
> course, XFree86 works wonderfully in this setup as well.

I have a radeon 8500 (it can do composyte sync!). Someone advised me to remove
the plastic cover and start fiddling with the buttons on the side.

--
Frank Van Damme
http://www.openstandaarden.be