[rescue] Octane memory question

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Fri Mar 14 10:29:22 CST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:34:51 +0100, Bjorn Ramqvist <v53278 at g.haggve.se>
wrote:

> Surface mounted components could be a pain to deal with, but smallish
> capacitors is somewhat easier since you only have two solderpoints. Try
> do it with ease on hand, and keep the component and board (SIMM) from
> getting TOO hot, otherwise you probably render it (completely) useless.
> If you're unsure, try make someone else do it for you.

I've been doing some surface-mount soldering recently. The closest I've
gotten
to "painful" is the SSOP devices, and mostly I had to watch out for bridges.

Even that's not so bad as compared to sky-wiring one of those suckers. Next
time I swear I'll buy an SOIC if I need to do that again. Had to fit a 28-pin
part into an 18-pin socket, and it had to fit into the case.
http://gallery.nonken.net/kludges/P3061173

The caps aren't so bad, unless they're film caps, in which case you can fry
'em too easily. Ceramic caps are damn near indestructable though.

Here's the technique I use: Drop some liquid flux on the pads, put a bit of
solder onto a fine-tipped iron(2), hold the part in place with a tweezer(1),
and then touch the solder to the pad. If done right the solder will wick
right
onto the part almost instantly. I usually touch the iron to the space between
the pad and the part, myself. Once you get one side soldered you can drop the
tweezers and do the other side.

(1) http://www.techni-tool.com/ search for 758TW454
(2) http://www.techni-tool.com/ search for  821ST928

That dual-iron soldering station is great for lifting surface-mount parts
from
a board.

Probably any decent iron will do the job, though, for caps and resistors.
It's
really the ICs you need the fine tips for.

---
Never take acid and go driving with binoculars.